Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has categorically said that he has blown bugle against corruption and in coming days many more harsh decisions will have to be taken. He said that for this if he needs to administer bitter medicine then he would not hesitate because his sole objective is to provide corruption-free governance to the people of the state.
It would be pertinent to mention here that on Saturday chief minister Rawat had declared that he has referred the forgery in national highway land acquisition to the Central Bureau of Investigation and also made it clear that whosoever will come out as guilty will be dealt with sternly under the law. On being asked about him suspending six officers including four sub divisional magistrates with other officers yet to be brought under investigation, he said that in prima facie he had come to know that Rs 240 crore scam had been orchestrated on 18 issues and many more such issues would crop up during investigation. Realising its vastness of scope for inquiry he found that state investigative agency would not be competent so he referred the case to CBI. He made it clear that accused, whether with political affiliation or bureaucratic affiliation would not be spared by the state. The accused may belong to any party but he would not bother because he has taken this up as a crusade against corruption and will continue to pursue this stance, said Rawat.
He reiterated that the state government has secured huge mandate from people in recently concluded assembly election because people want to get rid off corruption so the government would try to meet their expectation. He expressed these views while addressing the people in the Town Hall at Municipal Corporation of Dehradun where Dehradun mayor and Dharmpur MLA had organised felicitation ceremony for the chief minister on Sunday.
Political analyst said that state BJP is unable to digest the old Congress leaders into BJP and cabinet as well. As BJP has got huge mandate i.e. more than 80 per cent of the state i.e. 57 in the 70-member assembly, so state government is under pressure to take such stringent action to make people feel its impact. As we know that the scam had started since 2011 and revealed during election. During election it was revealed that farmers were given compensation against their acquired land and they deposited major chunk of their compensation in an account namely Uttarakhand Pradesh Congress Committee. Although state PCC president Kishore Upadhyay had expressed unawareness about any such account but investigation revealed that most of the affected farmers donated money into the account. With this announcement the suspected accused have become active and have started approaching their political masters.
Although CM Rawat has made announcement for the CBI inquiry, the question being asked is when he will send the required letter for this to the CBI. Sources state that as CM has mentioned that it started in 2011 then state was governed by BJP and concluded till Congress regime so this would not be easy task for the CM. Although he has enough mandate to go ahead with his crusade because during election BJP promised that they would give fear free and corruption free government to the people of Uttarakhand.