The financial assistance is given to Non-Government Organizations (NGOs)/ Voluntary Organizations (VOs) working for the welfare schemes of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The details of schemes and criteria for providing financial assistance under the said schemes are given below.
The following mechanism is in place for monitoring and better implementation of the Scheme:
- Mandatory annual inspection by District Authorities.
- Scrutiny of proposals by Multi Disciplinary State Level Grant-in-aid Committee.
- Mandatory submission of audited statement of accounts and Utilization Certificate duly verified by Chartered Accountants.
- Monitoring by State Government/UT Administrations.
- Surprise inspection/ visits of NGOs by States/UTs and Central teams.
The names / details of NGOs provided financial assistance and those blacklisted by this Ministry is available at the Ministry’s website i.e. http://socialjustice.nic.in/
The Ministry is implementing social welfare schemes for Scheduled Caste, Other Backward Classes, Senior Citizens and victims of Alcoholism and Persons with Disabilities and the eligibility criteria of organization to avail financial assistance/Grants-in-aid, is as under:
|Sl. No.||Name of Scheme||Details of eligibility criteria|
|1||Central Sector Scheme of Grants-in-Aid to Voluntary and other Organisations working for Scheduled Castes by running Schools and Hostels.||The organization should be:-
· Registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (XXl of 1860) or any relevant Act of the State / Union Territory; or
· A Public Trust registered under the law for the time being in force; or,
· A charitable company licensed under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1958; or,
· Indian Red Cross Society or its branches; and/ or
· Any other public body or institution having a legal status of its own;
· The voluntary organization should have been registered for, at least three years, at the time of applying for grant under the scheme. This can, however, be waived by the Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, for reasons to be recorded in writing, in exceptional cases.
· Number of Scheduled Caste beneficiaries is not less than 60% in Cases of voluntary organizations.
· Any other organization or training institution of repute, which may be approved by the Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
· Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)/ Voluntary Organizations (VOs) must have had a Bank Account maintained and operated in the name of NGOs/VOs for the last three years.
· It is not run for profit to any individual or a body of individuals except in case of training institutions of repute.
|2||Scheme of Free Coaching for Scheduled Caste and Other Backward Classes Students.||· The institute should be a registered body or run by any organization registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860/Companies Act, 2013 or any other relevant Act of the State/Union Territory.
· The institute should have been registered at least for a period of 3 years as on date of notification inviting applications from States/UTs/Coaching Institutions for empanelment by the Ministry.
· The institute should have been fully functional for a minimum period of 3 years at the time of applying under this Scheme and having a minimum enrolment of 100 students in the courses each year for at least two years, immediately prior to the year in which selected for empanelment.
· The institute must have proper infrastructure to meet all requirements for providing coaching in the courses applied for.
· The institutions/NGO are selected for empanelment based on the recommendations of the Selection Committee constituted under the scheme.
|3||Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens for running and maintenance of Senior Citizens Homes / Senior Citizen Homes for 50 elderly Women / Continuous Care Homes / Mobile Medicare Units etc for improving the quality of life of destitute Senior Citizens.
|· The Implementing Agencies should be a registered body, under an appropriate Act. It should be registered either under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or relevant State Societies Registration Act and has already been working for at least two years ; or a Public Trust registered under any law for the time being in force or a Charitable Company licensed under of Companies Act, 2013.
· The Implementing Agencies shall have a properly constituted managing body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in written Constitution; It shall have an appropriate administrative structure and a duly constituted Managing/Executive Committee;
· The organization is initiated and governed by its own members on democratic principles.
· The aims and objects of the organization and programmes in fulfillment of those aims and objects are specifically laid down;
· The Implementing Agencies shall not run for profit to any individual or a body of individuals; They should possess proven credentials and capabilities to handle such projects.
|4||Central Sector Scheme of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse, for, inter-alia, running and maintenance of Integrated Rehabilitation Centres for Addicts (IRCAs).||· The Organization should be registered under the societies Registration Act,1860,(XXI of 1860) or any relevant Act of the State Governments/Union Territory Administration or under any State Law relating to registration of Literary, Scientific and Charitable societies.
· It should have a properly constituted managing body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in writing.
· The Organization should have resources, facilities and experience for undertaking the programme.
· The Organization should have ordinarily existed for a period of two years. However, this would not be applicable if an organization is directly running under the control of State Government.
|5||Scheme of Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/Fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP).||
· Organizations registered under Societies Registration Act, 1860 or Public Trust Act or a non-profit company under section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013;
· In existence for a minimum period of two years.
· Registered under Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995/ Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
· Registered on the Niti Aayog Portal, NGO – Darpan.
· Properly constituted managing body, facilities & experience for undertaking the project, not to run for profit to any individual or a body of individual.
|6||Central Sector Scheme, namely, Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS) for running projects for the welfare of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) aimed at enabling to reach and maintain their optimal, physical, sensory, intellectual, psychiatric or social functional levels.|